Over the past few weeks, the refugee crisis has been given significant attention. The United States welcomes almost 70,000 refugees per year. Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area is proud to be one of the local agencies that assists in this process, helping families rebuild their lives after having to flee their homes because of war and persecution.
The media has put a lot of focus on volunteerism abroad but there are many things you can do to help right here in our community. Here are a few ways you can help offer hope to our refugee neighbors.
MAKE A DONATION:
- Make a House a Home with these gift cards: Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, Home Goods
- Purchase a refugee’s first week of groceries with these gift cards: Giant and Safeway cards.
- Donate household goods to provide families with the essential supplies needed to rebuild their lives in America: bed frames, mattresses, dining tables, chairs, cups, silverware, toiletries, etc. We have created a wish list of specifics, found here: http://lssnca.org/get_involved/make_donation/wish-list/refugee_wishlist.html
- Make a monetary donation: Help us fill the gaps and support our staff as they work one on one with each refugee as they hurdle the challenges of rebuilding their lives in America.
- Become a community advocate and assist a refugee in commuting to first appointments and interviews
- Become a family mentor and help a family adjust in their new community and home
- Help sort in-kind donations and ensure that every family receives their basic needs when they arrive in America
- Become a sponsor for a newly arrived family and work with our the Reception and Placement team to provide our services
- Become a muscle mover and help a newly arriving family move into their first home and set-up their first apartment
- Organize a welcome kit donation drive in your neighborhood or workplace
- Request a special congregational offering to benefit and assist newly arrived refugees.
If you would like to volunteer with our refugee neighbors, please contact Jessica at CuellarJ@lssnca.org or 703-698-5026 x.113.